GrievingStudents.org A database of fact sheets, advice and videos for teachers and school leaders. The materials were produced by the Coalition to Support Grieving Students, a group including 10 national organizations that represent teachers, school administrators and support staff.
National Alliance for Grieving Children (NAGC)
Promotes awareness of the needs of children and teens grieving a death and provides education and resources for anyone who wants to support them.
Assists families toward the positive resolution of grief following the death of a child of any age, and to provide information to help others be supportive.
Bereaved Parents of the USA
A national non-profit self-help group that offers support, especially to the newly bereaved, be they bereaved parents, grandparents, or siblings, struggling to rebuild their lives after loss. Local support group information can be found on the main website.
New York Life Foundation – A Child In Grief
This website is a valuable collection of stories and resources.
National Students of AMF Support Network
AMF is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting college students grieving the illness or death of a loved one. The organization accomplishes its mission by creating Students of AMF chapters on college campuses nationwide.
http://www.dougy.org/ The Dougy Center provides support in a safe place where children, teens, young adults, and their families grieving a death can share their experiences.
http://www.sesamestreet.org/parents/topicsandactivities/toolkits/tlc/griefresources Sesame Street Grief Resources
Activities for Children:
Ink and/or model magic hand prints
Stones with words engraved
A packet of seeds
Votive candles with the poem The Light
- After a Loved One Dies—How Children Grieve: And How Parents and Other Adults Can Support Them by David Schonfeld, MD, and Marcia Quackenbush, MS, MFT, CHES
- The Grieving Student: A Teacher’s Guide by David Schonfeld, MD, and Marcia Quackenbush, MS, MFT, CHES
- Why Did You Die? Activities to Help Children Cope With Grief and Loss by Erika Leeuwenburgh, LPC, and Ellen Goldring, LPC
- Creative Interventions for Bereaved Children by Liana Lowenstein, MSW
- Help Me Say Goodbye: Activities for Helping Kids Cope When a Special Person Dies by Janis Silverman
- The Brightest Star! by Kathleen Maresh Hemery
- Sunflowers & Rainbows for Tia by Alesia Alexander-Greene
- Gentle Willow: A Story for Children About Dying by Joyce C. Mills, Ph.D.
- Where Are You? A Child’s Book About Loss by Laura Olivieri
- I Miss You: A First Look at Death by Pat Thomas
- A list of free books on grief from the Centering Corporation.